Pages

Thursday 19 January 2012

Recipe Thursday - Carrot Lentil Curry Soup


It has been so cold these last few days that I am in the mood for some real warm comfort food. This recipe is one of my favorites, although it has no meat in it and Mountain Man can't even think about a meal without meat, it really is a meal in itself. He did seem to like it however as he ate two bowls of it before dinner.

I can't remember where this recipe came from as I've had it in my recipe box for quite a few years, however its pretty simple and only takes about 45 to 50 min. It is also very cost effective and cost me less than $2.  The most expensive ingredient up here is the spices if I don't have them growing fresh.

Ingredients:
250 grams (1 1/4 cup) red lentils
1 tablespoon butter
1 large onion, chopped small
2 celery sticks, chopped small
2 crushed garlic cloves
1 tablespoon curry powder (This is will need to be adjusted according to you taste (it can be a bit spicy but I love it that way and usually add more than called for)
2 carrots, grated
5 cups chicken broth or bullion
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup fresh chopped coriander (cilantro) or parsley depending on your taste buds

Saute the celery, onion, garlic and curry in the butter until soft. Add the broth, lentils and carrots. Simmer 30 minutes. Remove from heat and add the lemon juice, pepper and fresh herbs. Enjoy! Yum!

7 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I'll be making it this weekend. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto :)
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg my mouth is watering just reading this post...gonna make this for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me with the picture and recipe until you mentioned curry. Do you think the soup would be just as good without the curry?

    Thanks, Sandy
    P.S. I am learning how to create my own blog, check it out if you have a moment and let me know what you think. http://oklahomatransient.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose you could make it without curry Sandy but for me the curry is what makes it so yummy. I like your blog. :)

      Delete
  5. Glo, thanks for checking out my blog. It's the first time I created one and have to learn a few things. I guess I could try a different spice in the soup since curry doesn't really like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, try a teaspoon or two of cumin (I toast it in a dry skillet first) and some crushed red 'pizza' pepper if you skip the curry. It'll still be tasty.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...