Pages

Thursday 24 May 2012

Recipe Thursday - Country Skillet Breakfast (Hash)

We woke up this morning to snow. Snow!! I'm not impressed and a bit worried for our fruit trees but there is nothing I can do but wait and see what happens. It doesn't seem to be sticking to the ground but if it keeps up who knows. Arggg..... I'm in need of comfort food.



I discovered (OK I knew it was there but just forgot) I had a 20 lb bag of potatoes which I need to start using up and it got me to thinking about what I could make with them. Potatoes aren't something we typically eat a lot of as I try to steer clear of starchy food. I figure with all the bread and sweets I make we don't need a lot of other starches. Well, at least my hips keep telling me I don't.

So, what to make? Then I remembered a meal my mother used to cook. Its so simple you have no doubt had it a few times but sometimes making something from your childhood can bring back some interesting memories. So, I set about trying to make it exactly like my mother did.

One of the interesting tidbits about this recipe is we always called it "hash". Nowadays I figure that name is probably not appropriate but us kids were always asking mom when she was going to make hash again. Usually I got stuck peeling the potato's. Even the flavors from that time are probably not as appreciated in today's world where one can purchase anything one craves but I really enjoyed this blast from the past and Mountain Man would like me to make it again.

Country Skillet Breakfast (Hash)


2 medium sized or three small potatoes, cubed. You can also used leftovers from the night before.
meat from last nights dinner or if all else fails a few hotdogs, sliced or diced
1 large tomato, chopped
5 or 6 eggs (6 is best but mom always used however many she had on hand or how many were needed for the people there)
1 cup diced or shredded cheese, whatever you have on hand
parsley
garlic powder
salt and pepper

Gather all ingredients and chop, dice and slice as necessary.

I didn't have any meat or potatoes left over from the night before so had to start from scratch.


Pour a bit of oil in a nice large cast iron pan and start frying the potatoes. Salt and pepper to taste. Once they are starting to brown nicely and are almost done add the meat.


Fry until the meat is nicely browned. Mmmm.....  Makes me hungry all over again just looking at it!


In a medium sized bowl combine the rest of the ingredients. I didn't measure the spices so just add salt, pepper, garlic powder and parsley to taste. You can add other spices as well if you like. Everyone has different tastes when it comes to spices.


Pour this mixture over the meat and potatoes. 


You can choose to scramble fry the eggs into the mixture or just turn the heat down real low and allow it to cook until the eggs are done.  Growing up we always ended up scrambling the mixture as we were in a hurry to eat and the pan was so large.


Breakfast! Yum! Of course you have to have ketchup on the side and I like a bit of hot sauce on mine too. 

6 comments:

  1. Glo,

    I hope your temperatures are some what warm and the snow doesn't accumulate. I remember when I lived in Marquette, Michigan (Upper Peninsula) as a kid, we would get snow in June at times.
    OMG, your hash looks really good. Now, I'm going to have to make hash this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good, like the ultimate comfort food! YUM! I can't believe it snowed where you live, here in NJ it definitely feels like the summer has arrived and it's super hot! On a day like today I think I'd prefer the snow!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm way up north in Canada and snow isn't all that uncommon for this time of year. We can have summer like weather one day and winter the next. :)

      Delete
  3. I thought you might live in Oregon, until I read your profile. We had snow the same night you did! About two inches. Some people who live a few miles from us had 8 inches of snow! Your recipe looks great. I always fry potatoes and left over meat, but I never added eggs. Thanks for the hint. My relatives come from Canada, so I'm wondering if this is a French dish, and my parents were born and raised in Northern Maine close to the border.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna! I don't know about it being a French Canadian dish but I doubt it. Anything is possible however! I think it probably came about due to someone being in a hurry in the kitchen or only having one pan to cook in. Either way I've always loved it. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...