Pages

Thursday 9 August 2012

Recipe Thursday - Zucchini Skillet


Many years ago when I was a young girl and visiting a friends house, her father made something he called Zucchini stew. I have been trying to duplicate it ever since. Up until that point I hated zucchini and went out of my way to avoid it at all costs. No more. This year I planted about 5 plants and they are producing like wildfire. I can't keep up! 5 plants is way to much for two people. However, I am going to be trying a lot of things with them and hopefully will be able to use up most of them. Can't give them away up here, although many try.

This recipe is as close as I have ever come to duplicating that wonderful recipe I tried so long ago.  Mountain Man, who isn't exactly fond of zucchini loves it and will even eat it stone cold.

Zucchini Skillet

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp preserved garlic or 1 or 2 cloves chopped
1 medium to large zucchini, grated. (I just use a hand grater and grate it up like cheese, works great!)
1 can diced tomato's, 28 oz
1 can tomato paste, 5.5 oz
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Chili hot sauce to taste (optional)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

Brown the beef

 Add the garlic

and the onions. Saute until soft.

Add the shredded zucchini and saute until cooked through

 Add the Tomatoes,

Tomato paste,

 and spices.

 This is where it gets a bit tricky. We love spicy food so I add a huge dollop of chili sauce. Be careful with this as it can get hot but it sure makes it yummy!

 Once all the flavors are blended nicely (about 5 more minutes or so) add the Parmesan cheese. Stir in well and give it another few minutes to cook.

 YUM! Can't get enough of this stuff!



5 comments:

  1. looks delicious, I'll have to try it out this weekend. I've been trying lots of new zucchini recipes to use up all we've been given from the farm :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glo,

    Another fine recipe my dear. I must try this one out and make sure not to put too much hot sauce. We love zucchini here, I blanch mine and freeze them if I don't can them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good. My mom used to do something similar but without the ground beef. I'll have to give this a try when I can get a hold of some zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks awesome. Thanks for sharing and linking up at Doodles & Stitches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks almost like the spanish rice we fix sometimes lol.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...