Pages

Thursday 26 April 2012

Recipe Thursday - A Mexican Inspired "Casserole"

I don't make casseroles. I used to when I lived in town, but since moving to the country and not having an electric oven I've switched to making most everything on top of our wood cook stove. It has taken a bit over the years to make the switch but I rather enjoy cooking this way.  This skillet recipe is one we really like to eat. I have no idea where it comes from as it has been in my recipe box for a while and I have no doubt changed it a few times.



Mexican Inspired Skillet

1 cup brown rice (you can use white if you like but we prefer brown)
2 cups water (this may be different depending on what type of rice you use)
salt

1 pound ground meat (I've used many different types and it always turned out fantastic. I've also made this vegetarian by using beans instead of meat. Of course you don't need to brown the beans first!)
1 teaspoon minced garlic or 1 clove garlic chopped fine.
3 cups salsa (I use a medium salsa but if you don't like it spicy you could use mild)
1 tablespoon chili powder (careful with this! Remember we like spicy. You might want to add a bit less)
salt and pepper to taste
1.5 cups shredded cheese, I use whatever I have on hand

Put rice, water and salt in a pot to cook. Cook according to instructions Brown rice usually takes about 55 minutes unless you have the parboiled kind.

Brown meat and drain off fat.


Add garlic, salsa, chili powder and salt and pepper to taste. I really don't add much salt and pepper as it has a lot of flavor without it.


Simmer together for about 5 to 10 minutes. 


Add rice and blend together. 


Once it is all heated through spread the cheese on top. Cover and turn the heat down.


 Give it about 5 minutes or so until the cheese is melted and bubbly.


 Serve and enjoy!

Also linked in at The Nourishing Gourmet and Our Simple Farm blog hop's.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious - like a spicy lasagne without the pasta :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...